Standard Forward Mail
& Change of Address
Moving or Relocating
If you're moving, submit a permanent change-of-address request so your USPS® mail is properly rerouted to your new address.
If you're only relocating for a short time to visit your second home or do an extended stay with relatives, submit a temporary change-of-address request so you can receive your mail while you're away for 15 days up to 1 year.
Plan ahead. Although mail forwarding may begin within 3 business days of your submitted request, it's best to allow up to 2 weeks. Mail will be forwarded to your new address as it comes, piece by piece.
Choose to change your address in a few simple steps online or visit your local Post Office™ location.
What Mail Is Forwarded
- First-Class™ mail and periodicals (newsletters and magazines) are forwarded for free.
- Premium shipping services (Priority Mail®, Priority Mail Express®, First-Class Package®) are forwarded for free.
- Media Mail® and USPS Retail Ground® are forwarded, but you must pay the cost for shipping from your local Post Office to your temporary address.
- USPS Marketing Mail® is not forwarded.
- Please note that your change-of-address order does not automatically update any state or personal records. You’re responsible for updating your Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), voter registration, and banking information.
Get more details on how long a change-of-address order lasts, how to extend your request, and restrictions.
How to Change Your Address Online
- Go to the Official USPS Change of Address® website.
- Select Permanent or Temporary.
- Pay the $1.05 identity verification fee.
- Complete the appropriate online form.
- USPS will email you a confirmation code. Use this code to modify or cancel your request.
- A welcome kit with coupons from USPS partners will arrive at your new address.
- Mail will be rerouted to your new address piece by piece.
How to Change Your Address at the Post Office
- Visit your local Post Office location. Find a Post Office
- Request a free Mover's Guide packet.
- Fill out the PS Form 3575 found inside the packet.
Premium Forwarding Services
In addition to regular mail forwarding, USPS offers paid Premium Forwarding Service® options for residential and business customers who would like more flexibility or control over when and where they receive mail.
Related Mail Services
See other ways to manage USPS mail and have peace of mind when no one is home to receive important documents or packages.
USPS Hold Mail Service
If you'll be away for 30 days or less, use USPS Hold Mail® service and your local Post Office will hold all your mail until you return. Your mail carrier will resume your regular mail delivery when you return or you can pick up your mail at the Post Office.
Stop or Forward Mail for the Deceased
Learn how to manage mail for loved ones who have passed. You can redirect their mail to another address and you can remove them from advertising lists.